Monday, July 27, 2009

All I wanted was a pack of buns

On June 11th, I managed to ding my knee up. And all for a pack of buns, too.

I planned BBQ sandwhiches for supper, but needed buns. So I loaded the kids up in the SUV and headed to the local bread store, just a couple miles away, and a lot closer than Wal Mart. I didn't see the need in going to Wal Mart just for a silly pack of buns! So off we went.

I pack of buns and a few treats later, we headed back out to the SUV. I'm not real sure how, or what, I did, but the next thing I know, my right ankle gives out and I'm heading to the sidewalk! On the way down, my left knee went to visit my right knee, making me look like: ) OUCH!

The one worker in the breadstore rushed out to check on me, asking "Ma'am, are you all right?" Seeing my face, and the rest of me on the sidewalk she followed that up with "No, you're not. Do you need me to call the paramedics?" Frankly, I felt kind of silly, and just wanted to go home, get on the couch, and ice the knee and ankle down. So I asked her to simply call my hubby. Thankfully, he was able to leave work long enough to get me home, make sure I was on the couch, had ice packs, etc.

After a call to "Dr. Mom", I realized I really should have the knee and ankle looked at, just to be sure I hadn't done something more than a simple sprain. Of course, driving was a little more difficult than I wanted to deal with! After Brad got home though, we headed off to the ER. Thankfully, a neighbor was gracious and wonderful and let the kids stay over there while we were gone. The x-rays didn't show any breaks, so the doctor announced I sprained my right ankle and left knee. Talented, aren't I??? They sent me home with crutches. I discovered something. I'm terrible on crutches. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that that was the first time I had to ever use them?

A week later (June 18th), the ankle was better, but the knee and I weren't on speaking terms yet and I knew I needed to call my doctor. However, just to complicate things, Brad's car kicked the bucket, which meant he was driving our SUV while we figured out what to do about the car. Thankfully, God provided Brad wisdom (because I was too busy panicing) and Brad was able to buy a used car on June 20th that will do great for him. However, I wasn't able to see my doctor until June 29th due to me taking 8 kids from church to camp and my doctor being unavailable, etc.

My doctor played with my knee, showing me the 1 - 2 inches of give I had in my left knee that shouldn't be there. She thought I tore my miniscus and promptly referred me to an orthopedic, who also thought I tore my miniscus and scheduled me for an MRI.

July 7th, I had an extremity MRI, pretty cool by the way. The MRI machine sucked up my knee brace when it was over...made me laugh. That afternoon, I went back to my doctor and found out I had bronchitis!

July 10th, I saw the orthopedic for the MRI results. Is it bad when the doctor comes in and says "You suprised me."???? I tore my miniscus in two places, ruptured my ACL, and have a bone bruise on my tibia. All that from one fall?? One catch....we were going on vacation to NM (to visit family) that evening! So his instructions were: no squatting, bending, or kneeling; ice as needed for 15 minutes, 3 times a day; use either a cane or one crutch under my right arm; and to generally behave myself.

We're now back from a relaxing vacation, and the bronchitis is just about clear. I'm still coughing a tad from the bronchitis, but it's certainly MUCH better than it was several weeks ago. I'm scheduled to see the knee surgeon on Aug. 11th to see what he can do about my knee. He should definately clean up the miniscus tear, just not sure if he'll fix the ACL rupture.

Gee....and to think that all I wanted was a pack of buns.

No comments: